Tuesday, July 30, 2013

SLO in LOVE with Slovenia

Tuesday, July 30th: So, honest question for all of you reading my blog right now.  How many of you have heard of Slovenia? How many of you could actually pick it out on a map? How many of you would really ever think to visit and spend more than a few hours, let alone three to four days here? Finally, how many of you actually know what Slovenia's capital is, and can pronounce it properly :)!? Yeah, that's what I thought!  Well, keep reading and know that I am here to share the secret of Slovenia, one of the nicest, most beautiful countries I have EVER BEEN TO (and I am up to 17 countries, 15 within the past 13 months!).  Before going any further, I need to give incredible props to one of Natick's finest people/librarians, Irene Carrick.  She had HIGHLY recommended visiting, and if it was not for her, I probably would have skipped it and gone somewhere else.  She had told me where to go, what to see, how much time to spend, etc, and I am so grateful. This is just another perfect example of why I LOVE NATICK SO MUCH (Yes, Slovenians now know where Natick, Massachuestts is, because I continue to brag about it!).

So, yeah, after my nightmarish train ride here from Friday into Saturday, I arrived in Ljubjana completely exhausted but excited to see a part of Europe completely different from the rest.  It was ridiculously hot, but I immediately fell in love with the people and the layout of the city.  My hostel was absolutely charming (and air conditioned), and everyone there was so warm and friendly.  The hostel in and of itself was in a perfect location, five minutes from downtown and right across the street from the Japanese Embassy.

After checking in, I walked all around the city, spending time seeing the canal and various bridges that create Slovenia's landscape. I had Persian food at an outdoor market, checked out a few shops, and just enjoyed Ljubjana.  It is big enough where there is plenty to do but small enough to see within two hours.

Later that night, I had an amazing dinner of venison goulasch and dumplings at a place called Sokol.  There,  music serenaded the outside square and people just relaxed and enjoyed a wonderful (and hot) summer night.  I finished the night by taking the funiculare up to Ljubjana Castle and having a deep conversation with a Bosnian security guard who shared his perspectives with me on the Baltics and the past 100 years of tumultuous history.  One interesting note is how many Slovenians, Bosnians, Croats, and people within the Baltics still long for the days of the dictator Tito.  This was a recurring theme with several people I spoke to when I was here.   He did something that no other leader has been able to do since the fall of the Ottoman and Austro-Hungarian empires.  He kept the states that made up the former Yugoslavia together and prevented fighting that has otherwise occurred here for centuries.  Tito, while not the nicest dude in the world, was not a horrible person in the sense of Hitler, Stalin and Mussolini, and he had greatly improved/maintained a decent living standard for people within the Balkans.  Anyway, that is an important note.  Also, it was actually Slovenia who became the first nation in the Balkans to separate from the former Yugoslavia and was the first Balkan nation to join the European Union.

Okay, as far as the rest of my trip, Sunday, July 29th, with the country becoming a furnace and record temps being set, I went to Skojan Caves, about 40 miles east of Ljubjana.  These caves are some of the biggest in the world and have become a UNESCO World Heritage site due to their geological significance.  Stalagtites and stalagmites both spiral from the walls, and there is this huge underground river inside a deep canyon there.  Once again, when I was there, I saw how friendly Slovenians are, as my tour guide was fantastic!  Also, because of Slovenia's central location and somewhat confusing Slavic language, people there also speak very great English, Italian, and German.

Okay. Yesterday was my final day here and it was so much fun spending a ton of time outside.  I took a tour called the Alpine Fairytale, and this tour brought me to Lake Bled, Bohinj National Park, and Skofja Loka.  We also did a 90-minute hike at Vintgar Gorge and I had the chance to get a nice run in and jump in Lake Bohinj.  The region is part of the Julian Alps and is also home to Slovenia's best desert, a creme cake.  Yes, life was good yesterday (and every day I am in Europe).

So, here are my last thoughts, as I type this on a train bound for Zagreb, Croatia.

1) Slovenia is BEAUTIFUL.

2) Slovenians ARE Beautiful!

3) Ljubjana is one of the most wonderful, national capitals I have ever seen!

4) I am not only glad I came here but also glad I stayed an extra night, and I cannot wait to come back here next summer!

5) I am TIRED:)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More updates to come after a few nights in Dubrovnik!

No comments:

Post a Comment