Monday, July 22, 2013

Rest and Relaxation in Switzerland

July 22nd: I just boarded a train in Zurich, bound for four days in Austria, two in Salzburg and two in Vienna. Spending two nights in Switzerland was absolutely wonderful, and, for my first time ever in a European country,  I did not go to any museums or historical sites; rather, I just soaked up the mountains, rivers, and lakes; hiked, ran, and just walked a lot :).

When I arrived in Basel early Saturday morning, I really had no clue what kind of city it was, and I was actually contemplating just going straight to Interlaken. I soon found out though that it is a beautiful city and a hidden gem along the Rhine. It just has so much character and is postcard Swiss town. I will say that I learned quickly how expensive Switzerland is, as I paid $5 for Starbucks drip coffee and $4 for a coke! OUCH :)

Later that afternoon I took a 2-hr train ride to Interlaken and stayed in a tent hostel called Balmers. The hostel was something to be desired, but the scenery was breathtaking, seeing snowcapped 13k foot mountains in July. The most famous is Jugenfrau, which makes the backdrop of the area and is also featured in a James Bond movie.

Yesterday I started my day with an amazing 10 mile run and then hiked all afternoon before walking around downtown Interlaken last night. I really have just lived off of kebabs,  candy, and various beverages the past few days just because Switzerland is so expensive! 

This morning, I just woke up and boarded a train for Luzerne, walked around for 15 minutes and got some chocolate, and then got on another train to Zurich before transferring onto the train I'm on now. Not too much to say about Swiss people except they seem friendly and quality of life must be among the highest in the world. The country has landscape unlike any I have ever seen before and I would love to come back, once I win the lottery or have enough money :) 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mr. Voldman :)
    I'm glad you visited Switzerland and I hope your stay was nice! The funny part is that we're in the same country as I'm in Switzerland as well! Sorry Switzerland is so expensive hahah :) Have a nice summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justin, that is some beautiful scenery! But, a tent hostel? Yikes! I don't know that I could have done that one.
    Oh, and this is Camille, in case you see the strange name and wonder who is commenting on your blog.

    ReplyDelete