Sunday, August 11, 2013

POLISH-ING OFF Krakow and Warsaw

Sunday, August 11th: On a short flight from Warsaw to Riga, I leave Poland with a sense of accomplishment and gratitude for the heavy-hearted, emotional experiences I lived through the past four days. As far as travel, seeing the dark realities of the very worst of humanity, a history that is still very recent and personal, is not easy but it is soooooooo important and I know that I have gained so much insight and appreciation for my own life, and I have learned numerous lessons that I will share with my own students, colleagues, and family, with the aims of changing the way we think about how we treat others and experience the world around us.

With that being said, I think it is important to share how beautiful Krakow is and how much I loved the people and the city.
It has a charming old town that rivals Prague's and I felt everyone here was friendly and open. The city also teems with cultural and religious diversity with fantastic food stands and wonderful restaurants. I would say that, behind Berlin and in a tie with Prague, Krakow is my second favorite European city.

Not much to say about Warsaw except for it was a nice place to sleep. Pretty much all I saw there was the back of my eyelids and the ancient walls of the Best Western Felix Inn.  I was there for less than 12 hours before leaving for the airport. It just gives me ever the excuse to come back.

Now, I reach the home stretch of EuroTrip 2013 and I will inevitably FINN-ish off like a Rolling E-STON-IA :).  In Riga today then off to Talinn tomorrow, ferry to Helsinki Tuesday and back to Berlin Wednesday. FYI-- including Warsaw and Bratislava, that will make five capital cities in eight days. MAN I LOVE TRAVELING :)!

No comments:

Post a Comment